Knowledge, Attitude and Practice (KAP) on Malaria Prevention and Treatment among Residents in Dutse, Jigawa State Nigeria
*Muhammad, R. H. and Chiroma, A. A.
UJMR 2022, 7(1), Pp 129 - 134, DOI: 10.47430/ujmr.2271.019
Overcoming the menace of a disease is achieved through proper prevention and treatment, therefore, this study was carried out assess the knowledge, attitude and practices on prevention and treatment on malaria among residents in Dutse town. Three hundred (300) structured questionnaires were administered to obtain data on demographic characteristics, basic knowledge on malaria and practices on prevention and treatment. The respondents were within the age range of 16-55 years. 136 (45.0%) were males and 164 (54.7%) were females. All of the respondents were educated, informally 22 (7.3%), secondary (44.6%) and tertiary 96 (32%). 258 (86%) knew that malaria is caused by Plasmodium, 280 (93%) are aware of malaria transmission by a female Anopheles mosquito 172 (57.3%), 146 (48.7%) of the respondents come down with malaria 2-3 times a year while 23 (15.3%) have malaria >5 times a year.112 (37.3%) believed rainfall is responsible for high prevalence of malaria, 86(28.7%) thought dirt is responsible while 66(22%) thought stress is responsible and 36(12%) thought is resistance. Majority of the respondents 97(32.3%) used mosquito coil and ensured cleanliness to prevent malaria,73 (22.3%) spray with aerosol and cleanliness, 38 (12.7%) use fan and 8 (2.7%) use chemoprophylaxis to prevent malaria using Fansider 4 (50%) and Chloroquine 4 (50%). Most of the respondents 188 (62.8%) go to the hospital when they are sick, 94 (31.3%) go to chemist and 20 (6.7%) used herbs, some of which are 6 (30%) neem leaves while 14 (70%) use Artemisinin annua (rai daure). Treatment of malariaamong the respondents is done with ACT by 154 (51.3%), 106 (35.3%) use combo of ACT and Fansider while 40 (13.3%) use chloroquine. Majority of the respondents 284 (94.7%) buy the drug while 16 (5.3%) get them free. Only 154 (51.3%) completes their drug dosage and 174 (58%) know that dosage noncompliance can cause resistance. Prevention and treatment methods employed by the respondent may not translate to malariaelimination. Therefore, continual sensitization and improvement in treatment cannot be over emphasized.